Monday, January 25, 2010

Art in everyday Cowichan Valley life

On Station Street in downtown Duncan in the heart of the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island there is a place where one is invited to stop and rest a moment. There you will find a totem pole by Harold Alfred, Kwakwaka'wakw Native American Indian Artist.

Turn up your speakers and click play to hear a great soundtrack and watch an impressive video representing the artwork of Harold Alfred.

Totem Pole carved by Harold Alfred and © City of Duncan
Totem Pole carved by Harold Alfred

© City of Duncan

Studies reveal the general public consider the arts important even if they do not personally attend formal arts events.

This post invites your comments on the beneficial influence of the arts in the daily lives of individuals and communities.

"Art speaks to us through the clamour of our social lives, reminding us to look beyond what we know to what is implicit in our existence and our natures, to what is wild, untamable and free." John Waters, The Pursuit of Glorious Failure.

Take a moment and let us know what you think.

How has art influenced / enhanced your life?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will consider sharing some comment about art's effect in your life. Here is my short list of how art has enhanced or influenced my life.

    Art appreciation has taught me to be more visually aware of my surroundings.

    Through artistic engagement I have become more in tune with my intuition and inner voice when doing most all things.

    Simple is beautiful.

    I can see beyond the obvious to worlds of interesting things and ideas.

    It is who I am, a mirror.

    I am most happy and focused when practicing art.

    ReplyDelete